A frustrated programmer
General tech support, or help with things about technology, internet slang, gadgets/trends, or news

Neo
The One

A frustrated programmer

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 16:34

Today, I spent the whole day trying to solve what should have been, and turned out to be, a simple issue with javascript (I'm more comfortable in my php code). And for not the first time, I was only able to solve the problem after I had admitted defeat.

At one of my previous jobs, it was often the case that I'd spend hours or days working on something and getting no where, only to tell my boss I was unable to do it - then go back to my desk, and bang out a working version in far less time.

I'm not sure if it changes my mindset or what, but does this happen to anyone else? I feel like there is some kind of lesson to be learned from this all, but I haven't quite figured out what it is. Always be defeated? Never force a solution?
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

Re: A frustrated programmer

by Pam » 16 Apr 2015, 23:23

Sometimes you just need to step away from a problem before you can find a solution. Clear your head, take a walk, focus on something else, then go back and take a look at it again. Looking at things from a different perspective (even if it is one where you think you have failed) changes how you think about it, and helps your mind figure out a solution.