English Paper, lewis and clark, help!
Questions about tsn, life, or anything else you would like Neo to answer. He's got the answers, but not necessarily the *right* one.

i_am_gizzy
Level 4 - Gathering Supplies

English Paper, lewis and clark, help!

by i_am_gizzy » 11 Feb 2004, 20:58

ok...i have an english paper to write, due friday, in which i'm combining a novel, Death comes for the archbishop by willa cather, along with the lewis and clark expedition. i hafta include how the expedition and the themes from the novel have shaped the legacy of america today. well, i can handle the novel, and the lewis and clark thing i guess isnt so bad, but hey- if you can think of anything to contribute lol, please feel free! tell me some crap about the 'legacy of america today' cuz well, i dunno, it might help! if you can think of anything..i'll love you forever! lol. oh yea..here's a quote i must tie in, if it will help any.. "in u.s. history there is always a tension between home and the road. we talk a good talk about the joys of home, but the truth is we are obsessed with the road." yea, so um...thanks? oh yea..this is 3 1/2 - 4 1/2 pages..eek! lol..so uh, any ideas or examples are majorly welcome!
"If you don't expect too much from me, you might not be let down" - Gin Blossoms :bow: Aimee http://photos.yahoo.com/i_am_gizzy

Neo
The One

by Neo » 12 Feb 2004, 01:57

I would recommend doing a Google.com search for your topic. I don't have anything to add (and rarely do when it comes to doing other people's homework)...but for this one in particular, it's an opinion paper...writing about what you think. I can't help on this type of paper, because we'll have differing opinions, plus the fact that I don't know anything about your topic.

Trinity tried to get my opinion on "Coffee as a metaphore for today's society." Well, as most of you know, she lives in England. I don't have a clue what England's society is like, nor do I drink coffee, unless it is for the sole purpose of staying awake. So she got upset because I had no opinion on her topic, and now probably has a perpetual disgust for me because I couldn't help her. Don't let this happen to you. It's your paper, your topic...but I can't help you out.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

butterflyquill
Level 3 - Topic Spell Learned

by butterflyquill » 12 Feb 2004, 03:47

if it were me I would tie in the quote with some crap like "though we will always have a place to come home to, American society is obssesed with travel and being out on the road. Though Lewis and clark lived in the east, they had an insatiable need to find out what else was out there. Today, not much has changed. We can travel by plane, car, train, or crusie ship to any port in the world. But no matter where we choose to go, there will always be a place we return to, a place called home." At least thats how id do it with some other bs in it. english teachers are notorious fans of bs. thats the only way if made it through mine. anyways, hope this helped and lotsa luck!

Butterflyquill
I owe my success to having listened respectfully to the very best advice, and then going away and doing the exact opposite.

Bad-Mojo
Gamer Extraordinaire

by Bad-Mojo » 12 Feb 2004, 04:38

Butterflyquill wrote:english teachers are notorious fans of bs.
Amen to that and I don't know what I would have done if it weren't so. Of course you have to maintain the right amount of bs, otherwise the whole paper will turn on you. :P

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 12 Feb 2004, 14:34

I hate writing papers...I'm not good at it...the words just don't seem to come to me that need to...it sucks!

good luck on your paper...opinions papers are hardest for me!

Bad-Mojo
Gamer Extraordinaire

by Bad-Mojo » 12 Feb 2004, 16:01

Opinion papers were the easiest for me, and no matter what type of paper I was writing, I always ended up writing somewhat of an opinionated paper somehow. It was doing that in fact, when I was told I should be a journalist, which is my long term goal or dream, I've confused which it is now.

But anyways, back to the topic at hand, sounds like Butterfly nailed it to a T, that's a great topic sentence, nicely done!