tsnV New Features
Questions about tsn, life, or anything else you would like Neo to answer. He's got the answers, but not necessarily the *right* one.

Is this thread helpful?

Yes, Very
67%
Yes, kinda
33%
No, not really.
No votes
No, I didn't find what I was looking for.
No votes

Total votes: 9
Neo
The One

tsnV New Features

by Neo » 01 Jun 2005, 09:49

Ok, this thread is where I'll give you a bit of information about some of the new features so that there aren't so many questions being asked, and everyone can just jump right in on getting started using the new site.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 02 Jun 2005, 12:47

First off, is the profile. This is going to be a new profile set up for those of you that have not been on other phpbb forums before. Inside there, you will find 5 main tabs: Public, Home, Profile, Registering, Buddy List, Private Messaging.

The Public tab is what everyone can see. It's a compilation of the various aspects of your profile that is shared with the public, just like on tsnIII, only with more information.

The sub tabs do just what they say: base information, User Groups, and Last topics that you posted to. This is all public information. You can edit this in by clicking on the Profile Tab.

The Home tab is where YOU start from, when you click on the Profile link at the top of the page. It has a list of your new private messages (full list can be seen in the Private Messages Tab), the topics you're watching/subscribed to if there are any new posts, and a buddy list.

********About the Buddy List********
Since we're all friends here, we're going to do something different with the buddy list...it's going to be used to show off to other people who YOU brought to the site personally. So if you were directly involved in bringing someone to the site, then add them to your buddy list, by going to their profile, or by clicking on the "friend" icon in a post they made.

There is also an Ignore list to ignore posts from certain users; a Friend of list, to see who has added you as a friend; and an Ignored by list, to see who's ignoring you, if you let them.

The Profile tab is a sections off version of the original profile page, with a couple more options to add to it, like phone numbers, visibility options, and other things. Just look through there, and play around with it to see what it does. There are too many features to describe here.

The Registering tab is where you change things like your email, and password.

The Buddy List tab is where you will find the ability to add people to your buddy list, ignore list, or the Members list in total. You'll add from the Members list to the ignore/friends list. There is also a complex method of sorting, and displaying other information that you might like to see by clicking on the Down Arrow of the "User Fields" bar in those lists.

And the Private Messaging tab is just what it says: for private messaging.

If you have any more questions post them here...don't send me messages or IMs. I don't want to explain it over and over.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 02 Jun 2005, 12:55

Second is the new Cash system.

In tsnV, we won't go by post count anymore...but by Spotics...the local form of currency.

There will be a page where you can see the listings of the Post-Incentives and their price. These Spotics can be used for a couple different things:
- purchasing the post incentives
- discounts in the Freeform Frog store
- traded among the other members
- exchanged for l33t points
- and various other things that we might think of.

Basically - it's play money.

You gain Spotics by posting. For every character you get a certain (sometimes variable) amount of Spotics. This is to encourage useful posts. For posts that have under a certain amount of text, no Spotics will be given. You also get Spotics for replies to your thread, and various other things.

Something to a stock market might be implemented later, so one can try their hand at trading them on a psuedo-stock market.
Another setup that goes along with the Spotics are l33t points. l33t points show how cool you are on the site, and are harder to get than Spotics. For every character in a post, you get a fraction of the Spotics that you earn as l33t points.

You can trade in your Spotics for more l33t points, or you can trade your l33t points for more Spotics at what ever the conversion rate is at that time.

I'm sure there will be a lot of questions on this subject, so just quote the article and post them here.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

RageCage
The OUTMATE

by RageCage » 02 Jun 2005, 13:31

Yeah I have a question? So you aren't gonna keep track of how many posts we have or what? I mean cause I am sooo close to my special rank, and it would suck if I got this close then didn't get one. I mean are we gonna keep our ranks and stuff? Baka really needs that answer more than me.
They say "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is "Evil prevails".
War is not about what's right. It's about what's left.
Bullets change governments far surer than votes.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 02 Jun 2005, 13:42

Yes, posts will still be kept track of.

And what I will probably do is anyone with about -50 away from their next special rank will still get that rank when the change is made based on their posts.

Everyone still gets their ranks when they join the post clubs and stuff.

What we will do is coast through the month of June to see how the cash system works out, and what kind of amounts people are earning - and buy july we should have it figured out better.

This is the trickiest part of the site, because there's really no reason for it, except to encourage useful posts - and not crap posts. So creating reasons is the tough part...pricing them for Spotics is going to be even tougher.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 12 Jun 2005, 10:53

Ok, in the new site there is a Calendar feature. Allow me to explain how we're going to use this:

Events on the Calendar are created by adding topics in the [url=http://www.the-spot.net/viewforum.php?f=7]Current Events forum[/url], in the [url=http://www.the-spot.net/viewforum.php?f=56]Calendar Events sub-forum[/url].

Before posting an event, you should ask yourself these questions, so you don't have yout topic removed from the calendar:
- Is there an important informational value for why I am posting this?
- Does it affect tsn and its memebers?
- Is anyone going to care but me really?
- Is this a tsn Event, or is it just something going on in my life?

If the answers to any of those questions are No, don't post it in there, put it in the Current Events - leave it off the calendar.

When posting a Calendar Event:
- Keep the subject short
- Provide a short description in the Description box
- Provide all the details you can in the post box
- Choose the date of the event in the "Calendar Event:" section
- Choose the start time in the "Event Time:" section
- And determine for how long it will last in days, hours and minutes.

For Example, the LAN Party:
It starts on June 18th, at 12pm, and goes until 2 am.
I would put:
Calendar Event: 18 June 2005
Event Time: 12 00
During: 00 14 00
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Jun 2005, 07:52

About the Photobook....there might be some problems with the transistion...things aren't uploading or writing to the directory like they are supposed to always...but keep trying. I am working on it - (but I am also at work right now). So just be flexible. :)

But it's back! And better than before...in some ways:
1.) You don't have to register to use it...as long as you're a member of the site you get a Photobook.
2.) You get 4MB space, for pictures up to 1024*1024 pixels.
3.) People can't link to your photos from other sites and use them in other places

Now...In the Member Photos - only upload one pic of yourself there. Put the rest in Your User Gallery. There is a link to that below the 3 Photo Albums (i.e. right below Gra-FX Creations).

The Member Photos requires approval by the Photomasters: Divine David and Baka Sushi...They come around the site a lot, so they'll be checking for unapproved photos. So don't worry. The admins of tsn can also do it: Neo, UPS, and KD. It's just for Quality Assuarance.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 21 Jun 2005, 09:20

I have added "BlingBling" to the currencys of the site. I read on another website that they are using Bling as a form of currency to buy things in their site like access to other games, that you earn from playing games.

So we have BlingBling ;) . This will be the cash equivalent to your discounts in the Freeform Frog store. 1,250 Spotics = $0.01 BlingBling. Sure, it seems like a lot to post to get a penny off the merchandise...but Spotics are easy to get, and if you max out your Spotics for the day it will only take you 2.5 days to earn .01 bling...which means that after 250 days you'll have $1.00.

And you can change Spotics into Bling, but you cannot change them back. So if you want to save up for the Freeform Frog, you can invest in BlingBling, (which I am thinking I will make rise and fall like the stock market), or keep them as Spotics for getting the Post incentives on tsnV.

But for now, just know the conversion rate and that you can't convert back.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

[wizard]
1337 h4x0r 4dm!n

by [wizard] » 24 Jun 2005, 21:44

i thought your "blingbling" idea was what the l33t points are. so l33t points can be exchanged for spotics and blingbling can be exchanged for spotics, and in the end spotics can be used for discounts on freeform frog tsn shwag?

Neo
The One

by Neo » 24 Jun 2005, 21:49

Well, l33t points are something like a ranking system for how active you are on the site. Originally they were designed to be exchanged, but RageCage pointed out a flaw when he went back and forth and made more money doing that.

So now l33t points cannot be exchanged to Spotics. They're just l33t points for how l33t you are on tsn ;) .

The reason there are spotics and blingbling now is a decimal issue that I wanted resolved for converting Spotics to discounts towards tsn "schwag" as you put it. With these, you can convert your Spotics to BlingBling, and save up money to use towards merchandise discounts. But once you invest in BlingBling, you cannot transfer it back to Spotics.

They convert at a ration of 1250 Spotics = .01 BlingBling. However, you can also use Spotics by themselves (at the cost of not putting them towards BlingBling to buy the Post Incentives like special power, special rank, etc.

Make sense?
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

[wizard]
1337 h4x0r 4dm!n

by [wizard] » 24 Jun 2005, 21:51

cool, so the idea stands that l33t points replaced tsnIII's post count idea? will there be a l33t point club? can i make a 4.0l33t point club? is there a way we can see who is the l33t3st?

Neo
The One

by Neo » 24 Jun 2005, 21:54

In matters of significance, yes...because any n00b can jack up their post count in the JFF or other threads that don't require any intelligent conversation...so l33t points are a scaled down versoin of Spotics, thus are harder to earn.

I can come up with the Top 10 l33t3st for the My Spot.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Hambone
The Hambone, b@#$&

by Hambone » 25 Jun 2005, 09:29

i want to be able to use mine to put sarge in the KC every week :)
"Im in your base, killin your d00ds"

Neo
The One

by Neo » 28 Jun 2005, 23:23

All right...I added a couple new things tonight.

One of which is a completely re-coded, re-modded viewtopic.php page, so there are no errors in it.

The second is a Quick Edit feature that lets you edit your post right on that page (or for mods, anyone's post)

The third is a "Zero Post User Count"...users with 0 posts don't count towards total members. So this count is more like an "active member" count...to some extent.

I might try to work on one that shows user count for users active in the past x days or months. That would be a more accurate "Active User Count".

I'll look into some more features tomorrow.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

~day_dreamer~
Level 11 - Post Spell Adept

by ~day_dreamer~ » 28 Jun 2005, 23:29

i like the way the quickreply and quickedit features work. much easier thanx neo :)
|24(|-|31 <3'5 j00