Rocks and my back window....
Questions about tsn, life, or anything else you would like Neo to answer. He's got the answers, but not necessarily the *right* one.

tank driver will
The Guitarplayer

Rocks and my back window....

by tank driver will » 12 Aug 2004, 16:45

IS it posable for a rock that weighs about an ounce to fly over a boxy car (old volvo) and have enough velosity to SHATER my back windshield?

this would mean alot to me sence my car was shot at and i think i proved the cop wrong when i said it wasnt a rock.
Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144:1

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.
1 Corinthians 13:11

+10 Trivia points
+10 Witty points

Neo
The One

by Neo » 12 Aug 2004, 19:10

Hmm...to answer the question if it's possible...it's possible that someone dropped or threw a rock and it hit your car at just the right time for it to happen like that.

But were there any bullet holes, or bullets in your car? or other broken parts? It's not likely for a rock to fly over the front of your car, and hit your back window though.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Ilive4Himsr04
Level 12 - Topic Spell Adept

by Ilive4Himsr04 » 12 Aug 2004, 21:16

Yes, I think that a rock could have shattered your back window. There are a lot of Physics terms that I could use ... but I'll try to put it in basic english. If the rock which "weighs" about an ounce, was thrown while the person throwing was in the vechile. The velocity of the moving vechile plus the velocity of the rock equals enough velocity so the rock could shatter the window. However, a bullet would also cause the window to shatter.
"Remember when it rained I felt the ground and looked up high and called your name Remember when it rained In the darkness I remain."

Frankli
%67%65%65%6B
Location: Nac.>Tx>US>North America>West Hemisphere>Earth>Solar System>Milky Way>Univer

by Frankli » 12 Aug 2004, 21:59

It is possible, but probable? No.

A rock flying at that high of a velocity over a car and shattering your back window is just as probable as your car jumping ten feet into the air by itself.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 13 Aug 2004, 01:25

Katie, we're not talking about someone throwing a rock from the rear of the car...we're talking about it coming from over the front hood, over the roof, and then hitting a 90 degree window in the back.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Frankli
%67%65%65%6B
Location: Nac.>Tx>US>North America>West Hemisphere>Earth>Solar System>Milky Way>Univer

by Frankli » 13 Aug 2004, 02:16

Neo wrote:...we're talking about it coming from over the front hood, over the roof, and then hitting a 90 degree window in the back.
Like I said: Possible, but not probable.

El Gato en el Sombrero
The Wonky Duck

by El Gato en el Sombrero » 13 Aug 2004, 02:53

I think its possible for a rock to break the window, but ONLY if thrown at the window directly. Someone had to be standing behind it and threw it then, or maybe a car behind him threw it up, but it didn't come from his car. It is definitely SOMEONE's fault.
"Thought and theory must precede all salutary action; yet action is nobler in itself than either thought or theory. " -Virginia Woolf

http://biblio-tastic.blogspot.com/