tsnLAN 20th Anniversary Edition
This just in! Special news and announcements from the administrators will be posted here.

Neo
The One

tsnLAN 20th Anniversary Edition

by Neo » 08 Mar 2023, 14:20

It's been 20 years since Punix-GT, IBJay, Bethnangel and I laid down the ashes of etbustudents.cc and etbuers.com, and with them rebuilt ourselves as the-spot.net. It was April 2003 when the domain was purchased and the first version of the site was set up. You can actually visit both tsnI and tsnII still today:

https://the-spot.net/tsnI/ and https://the-spot.net/tsnII/

To celebrate this milestone, and my own 40th birthday, I figured we should try and put together a tsnLAN party, and now that I am the adult with a house, I can host it! You can find the sign-up on our Facebook page where you can mark if you're coming, and participate in the discussions to get FAQs.
  • Where is it? Remote & in Plano, TX
    • Video Games There will be in-person BYOC at my place in Plano, TX. But there will also be remote play via Steam and hosted on our Discord server.
    • Console/Board Games Everyone is welcome to come to my place, just drop me a message somewhere to get the address.
    • For general hangout, the Discord and my place are both available.
  • When does it start/end? In-person starts at 5PM (to grab dinner first), online starts at 7PM Central. It'll go on until everyone leaves / logs off. I can accommodate a very few people who might need to stay over night. I have a couch, air mattress, recliner, and lots of floor space.
  • Will there be food provided? For in-person, I'll have snacks & drinks, and will seek out some cases of BAWLs to be available. There are many types of restaurants nearby (similar to the situation in Tyler) and we'll go have dinner together with anyone who comes in person.
  • How many people can come? I can accommodate around 9 computers, but will purchase additional tables & chairs if more people will be coming. If the number gets too large, we will relocate to a nearby LAN Arena instead.
  • What about kids and spouses? Everyone's welcome to come. Over the years we've had people who came just to socialize and didn't play any games. There is a neighborhood park within walking distance owned by my HOA. There are also KidZone and Nickle-arcade places for kids to hang out as well within a short drive.
  • What games are available?
    • PC Games: Whatever you'd like to play hosted through Steam, most notably...
      • Unreal Tournament, if in-person, but since Unreal Tournament GOTY is no longer available online, TOXIKK makes for a good free-to-play alternative.
      • Deep Rock Galactic
      • Tabletop Simulator (and any games you may have/find)
      • ...other games as suggested/available.
    • Consoles: I own a GameCube, Wii, Xbox 360, PSOne, Sega Genesis. Folks will have to bring a next-gen console if they want to play next-gen games (I am not a console gamer). However, I do have Ultimate Smash Brothers (fully unlocked) on GameCube. BYOC/BOYG for more
    • Tabletop: Star Trek Catan, a Poker set for Hold'em & similar games, Cards Against Humanity, and Uno. BYOG for more
  • ...this list will be updated as more questions come in.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

Re: tsnLAN 20th Anniversary Edition

by Neo » 31 May 2023, 10:11

Hey folks!

Given the requirements of "adult life", since it was 15 - 20 years after the last time we had a LAN Party, we're going to condense the event and move it entirely online, with an option to come in person still on the table. The post above has been updated with the latest details.

We look forward to seeing y'all there!
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]