Sept. 7th, 2015 @ 1p-6:30p | A Canadian in Texas? What??
Got something going on you want to announce? Garage Sale, birthday, parties? Let everyone know the details here!

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

Sept. 7th, 2015 @ 1p-6:30p | A Canadian in Texas? What??

by Vanyl » 13 Aug 2015, 09:57

Because I totally gave Neo no head's up about this, if he wants to change how this is organized, completely up to him. That being said...

I'm in California for the Labour Day weekend running a half marathon at Disneyland because... well because I wanted to. It's my 30th birthday that Saturday and I decided I'm spending my "Dirty 30" at Disneyland smurfin' it! Since my life is massively changing (MASSIVELY) I'm flying solo on the way back and have a 5.5 hour layover in the lovely DFW airport. I got to thinking that I might know a person or two in the DFW area. I mean, anything's possible really, right?

Anyways, I threw the idea out there to Neo about possibly popping out of the secure area to grab a bite with any Texans who might want to stop by. We're still figuring out if that's even feasible but if it is, the invite is open to any TSN peeps who want to come. It would be a short visit since I'd have to go back through international customs/security but I'm open to the idea of a quickie meet'n'greet if y'all are. (I swear that wasn't sarcastic, I picked that up on my last Texas visit and use it to this day, on a daily basis).

If, in some really randomly crazy rare alternate universe coincidence, anyone here besides Neo and GlennCoco want to come and meet, deets will follow. :)
Last edited by Neo on 13 Aug 2015, 23:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: trying a new title scheme for threads in this forum
The deeper darker me ever grows,
Until the light burns it apart,
Leaving behind my scorched and naked heart.

"Those who submit are not always weak" - Hyacinth

Neo
The One

Re: A Canadian in Texas? What??

by Neo » 13 Aug 2015, 10:03

GlennCoco and I will be there. We might be able to get you out of the airport for some lunch, though there are some good places in the airport too. Just find a place in or near that you'd be interested in eating at, and we'll make that happen.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 13 Aug 2015, 10:11

Neo wrote:GlennCoco and I will be there. We might be able to get you out of the airport for some lunch, though there are some good places in the airport too. Just find a place in or near that you'd be interested in eating at, and we'll make that happen.
lol I have no clue what's around there so I'll have to go a-Googlin'. It's going to be crazy to zip in and out but I'm hoping I can do it so I can see mah TX peeps. I think I need more sugar...

GlennCoco
Level 2 - Post Spell Learned

by GlennCoco » 13 Aug 2015, 15:28

Do you happen to know which end of the airport? I used to live around there, and I might know of a few places (hopefully, they're still open). If you're on the north east end, there's a sushi place, Midori, that has a sushi lunch special!
"You go Glenn Coco!"

Neo
The One

by Neo » 13 Aug 2015, 23:13

Vanyl wrote:
Neo wrote:GlennCoco and I will be there. We might be able to get you out of the airport for some lunch, though there are some good places in the airport too. Just find a place in or near that you'd be interested in eating at, and we'll make that happen.
lol I have no clue what's around there so I'll have to go a-Googlin'. It's going to be crazy to zip in and out but I'm hoping I can do it so I can see mah TX peeps. I think I need more sugar...
GlennCoco wrote:Do you happen to know which end of the airport? I used to live around there, and I might know of a few places (hopefully, they're still open). If you're on the north east end, there's a sushi place, Midori, that has a sushi lunch special!
If I recall correctly, any restaurant inside the airport will be behind the security wall, and we won't be able to eat there with you. You'll have to find something outside the airport, maybe 30 minutes or less away. That should cover a good portion of the central metroplex (Hurst, Irving, West Plano, Carrollton, Grapevine, etc.)
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

Re: Sept. 7th, 2015 @ 1p-6:30p | A Canadian in Texas? What??

by Vanyl » 14 Aug 2015, 16:42

I'll take a look closer to the date. I'm preferential to steak, burgers, and Italian for the most part. :) Suggestions always welcome. Not too pricy though since my currency sucks compared to the USD at the moment.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 18 Aug 2015, 14:39

Well, I know it's fast food, but Whataburger is a Texas-only thing. There's an option that isn't too pricy.

As far as Steak goes, there's Saltgrass nearby.

And for Italian, I recommend Ferrari's - I've had the one in Addison, but there's one in Grapevine: 1200 William D Tate Ave, Grapevine, TX 76051

Of course, there is always my specialty when it comes to restaurants: picking one that no one has ever been to before, and enjoying something new for everyone. However, if you want strictly Texas food (which doesn't include Italian), those are some options for state-wide (or larger) chains. Holes-in-the-wall are just as Texan too though.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 20 Aug 2015, 09:55

My college roommate had a 1.5 hour layover and we had enough time to take him to springcreek BBQ. There's a lot nearby, and you definitely have more than enough time.
-D$
:ninja:

Neo
The One

by Neo » 20 Aug 2015, 10:04

DMoney wrote:My college roommate had a 1.5 hour layover and we had enough time to take him to springcreek BBQ. There's a lot nearby, and you definitely have more than enough time.
But was his flight international? She'll have to go back through the [probably] longer international security line. There is still definitely enough time, but 1.5 hrs would be too short. (I ask, because I intend to leave 1.5 hrs or more available for her to go through the security line).
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 20 Aug 2015, 10:10

Sorry I haven't come back to reply about restaurants. Life has been chaotic. I'm good with Texan or not, though I think I'll likely want a sit down place. All else fails, do you guys have Cracker Barrels because those are my kryptonite. LOVE Cracker Barrels, no idea why. Probably should be a last resort though because I can get them in Michigan (yes, I drive all the way to the border and cross it just to eat at Cracker Barrel).

I think leaving 1.5 hours to re-enter security is best if not more time. I've never flown international but I don't have much wiggle room for missing my flight so better safe than sorry.

And since DMoney posted, I fully expect to meet at least one of the family, seeing as I missed both you and Pam last visit. :(

Neo
The One

by Neo » 20 Aug 2015, 10:13

Vanyl wrote:All else fails, do you guys have Cracker Barrels because those are my kryptonite. LOVE Cracker Barrels, no idea why.
Yes, we do have them. There is one just up the highway from the airport: https://goo.gl/maps/IVJpz
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 20 Aug 2015, 14:27

Since that day is a holiday, I may or may not be able to make it. I have the day off, so the possibility is there, but there's always so much going on that I may be busy. As of right now, I think I would be able to go though. For now I'm planning on being there.
-D$
:ninja:

Neo
The One

by Neo » 20 Aug 2015, 19:02

DMoney wrote:For now I'm planning on being there.
Then if anything new comes up, you decline it, because you made this plan first. :) That's how you stop that nonsense.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 21 Aug 2015, 11:08

Neo wrote:
Then if anything new comes up, you decline it, because you made this plan first. :) That's how you stop that nonsense.
Exactly, we've called dibs. Anything else that comes up has to compete with an international visit. :P If the competing plan involves another continent, they might have me topped, otherwise... Don't make me call down my Canadian snow powers and give y'all a blizzard this winter. lol

Neo
The One

by Neo » 21 Aug 2015, 11:29

Vanyl wrote:
Neo wrote:
Exactly, we've called dibs. Anything else that comes up has to compete with an international visit. :P If the competing plan involves another continent, they might have me topped, otherwise... Don't make me call down my Canadian snow powers and give y'all a blizzard this winter. lol
On second thought, DMoney, don't come...I could do with a nice blizzard. I need a reason to use my new fireplace. :razz:
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]