The movie that changed your life
Did you see the what that guy did in the show with the person at the place with the stuff? OMG it excited my eyeholes!

Neo
The One

The movie that changed your life

by Neo » 10 Dec 2014, 21:36

Looking back on your life, what movie (or movies) would you say changed your life, and how?

For me, in less of a "that was the greatest movie I've ever seen" way and in more of a "I never thought about looking at life that way" way, I'd have to point out 3 movies that I can at least recall since being a teenager...

Phenomenon (John Travolta)
After watching it, I really thought it might be possible to tap into telekinetic powers on the level of communicating with matter. Looking back, that doesn't seem like the solution, but it doesn't change what I think is possible if you engage your brain in every way imaginable. Anyone can learn to do anything.

Be Cool (John Travolta)
Yeah, another John Travolta movie, with an awkwardly attractive female co-star. My take-away from this one was a matter of confidence. From what I remember of the movie, he had just gotten out of the movie business and was taking on the music industry. It was at a time when I too was trying to get into the music industry, with work actively being done on WZUP and FreeformFrog. I also liked to dress nice, and tried to go after his look from the movie.

The Matrix (Keanu Reeves)
Obviously I couldn't have an "influential movies" list without including The Matrix. When it came out in 1999, I was only 16 at the time. It wasn't until I pirated it on Kazaa while at ETBU over 2 years later that I actually got to watch it. The main thing that changed my view of life was at the end...

After knowing that he was in the Matrix, and that everything he experienced was an experience in his mind (like a dream) he decided he didn't like the outcome he was faced with (death by Smith) and changed it. The understanding that if you don't like something in your life, it's up to you, and entirely possibly for you, to change it was the main thing I took away from the movie. I can't hold my hand up to stop bullets, but if I am in a situation that I don't find enjoyable, productive, or worth my limited time on earth - there is absolutely no reason I have to be a victim of my circumstance.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]