Spy Ware
Questions about tsn, life, or anything else you would like Neo to answer. He's got the answers, but not necessarily the *right* one.

bethnangel
Level 6 - Quest taker

Spy Ware

by bethnangel » 12 Feb 2004, 22:36

hey neo! since youre the best computer genious i know, how can you tell if you have spy ware on your computer? and how can you get it off? im working with windows ME if that helps.
beth><>

Punix-GT
The Bassplayer

by Punix-GT » 13 Feb 2004, 00:24

This is the best application out there for searching and removing all forms of spyware and ad-wares.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

I have it on my computer, and I have no comlaints whatsoever ^_^ Get the free version. The other versions are meant for more larger corporations. The free version is just as good, and is meant for just your local computer ^___^

Hope that'll answer your question!
¤uraniumpoppyseed imploded¤
Stay out of trouble, they don't show anime in jail!!! O_O
viva la deptula demise!!!
+10 Randomtivity points by UraniumPoppySeed

Neo
The One

by Neo » 13 Feb 2004, 01:04

To make things simpler, we already have the adaware for download from OUR site so you don't have any confusion about which one to get.

http://www.the-spot.net/software
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

KD
The Cute One...Ph34r M3!

by KD » 13 Feb 2004, 23:15

I not only use Adaware, but I use 'Spybot - Search and Destroy', too. You can get that here:

http://www.safer-networking.org/index.php?page=download
"Every person has their own story. Open their book if you want to understand them. It may be a better read than you anticipated." -Me

= SIR JAD =
The Ultimate Gaming Chef

by = SIR JAD = » 14 Feb 2004, 00:32

THANK YOU KD!!! SOOO MUCH!!! I HAVE BEEN WANTING Search and Destroy for the past 2 weeks since my computer got reformatted.. I needed to clean out my spyware.. thanky thanky KD.. I now have the power
I CHALLENGE YOUR GRANDMOTHER TO A COOKING DUEL.... and if she beats me.. She and I will play Unreal Tournament...

KD
The Cute One...Ph34r M3!

by KD » 14 Feb 2004, 22:18

^_^ You're welcome! :D
"Every person has their own story. Open their book if you want to understand them. It may be a better read than you anticipated." -Me

= SIR JAD =
The Ultimate Gaming Chef

by = SIR JAD = » 15 Feb 2004, 01:05

I have been using that like crazy and My popups have lessened because of it.. such a life saver
I CHALLENGE YOUR GRANDMOTHER TO A COOKING DUEL.... and if she beats me.. She and I will play Unreal Tournament...

Neo
The One

by Neo » 15 Feb 2004, 01:36

I use Norton Internet Security, and I get NO popups. It's nice ^_^ .
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

= SIR JAD =
The Ultimate Gaming Chef

by = SIR JAD = » 15 Feb 2004, 03:59

hmmm... really Well.. ok I don't get as many popups as I would if I had nothing.. so I know it takes care of the junk on my comp...

Nimrook
Level 3 - Topic Spell Learned

by Nimrook » 15 Feb 2004, 12:41

norton...bah...i use norton, and was still getting popups...and viruses...it's decent, but not perfect...it depends on your ISP, whether or not they have a filter...mine does not.
for extra security, i strongly, strongly recommend downloading the free verson of zonealarm....before using it, while using norton, i had 12 viruses including 4 trojans, and over 500 different spyware files on my computer, within one week of use...adaware removed the spyware, it's great, but until zonealarm, my computer was not completely safe. i've been using zonealarm for a month now, and have gotten no popups whatsoever (compared to the 30-40 per minute that i was getting) since installation...and i routinely check for viruses and spyware, and still have none of either
even if you think you're safe, if you dont have zonealarm, i repeat that i strongly, strongly recommend you download and install it
*nods firmly*

Neo
The One

by Neo » 15 Feb 2004, 16:04

Well, that's good. I don't know why you got so many popups with Norton unless you didn't have Internet security, just anti-virus. Internet security only allows what you allow to connect to the internet and asks you if you have not told it already.

But I use Norton Internet Security 2001 and AdAware, and I have no spyware or viruses on my computer, and thus can very nearly guarantee any software that I put to my server has no viruses on it when y'all download it. (I don't know what kind of protection there is on the server, but apparently it works so far.)
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 15 Feb 2004, 21:20

whenever I actually get around to checking to see what's on my computer...i use Adaware first...and it gets most of them, and then I go back and use Spyware search and destroy and it gets a few that were missed...it seems to work pretty well. Spyware also blocks most of my popups too

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Feb 2004, 00:22

There is some popup blocker programs that will block other people's popups, but you MUST agree to receive their popups...be weary of those popup blocker programs, just go with some of the spyware removal programs mentioned here.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 16 Feb 2004, 08:02

hey Neo...was that last comment directed to me?? or to someone else? (sorry, I'm half asleep and sorta lost)

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Feb 2004, 14:26

It's for everybody.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]