There was a bit of a rough patch today. I learned a hard lesson...again...about making mistakes when your only development environment is the live server.
I was moving my IDE environment from one folder to another, putting it into Dropbox so it would sync between my desktop and my mac. Then I decided to change the folder name while in the IDE...
my IDE decided "hey, brah...I see you're changing the folders - let me sync that up for ya." and deleted everything on the server. However, I didn't have a full copy on my Mac of what was on the Server...so it only uploaded SOME of the stuff, and then complained when I tried to load the site.
The entire afternoon was spent trying to upload what I could port over from my desktop via Hamachi, and deal with the wireless network at work cutting out between 1 and 4000 files uploaded, requiring me to start over....and over...and over.
I finally did it all from my desktop when I got home, and fortunately everything was easily brought back up.
I now have my desktop and mac both running from the same synchronized Dropbox folder - and the code on the server is backed up to Github, with the security in knowing what was on my desktop was all that it took to bring the server back up - which is now the version that is in Dropbox, and has always been the version that is in Github.
I spent the rest of the evening trying to get the New Post page looking and working like it used to, and I got about 33% of it finished up. Fortunately this time it didn't put too much of a hit on the Private Messages page, and that still looks reasonable...but the whole tabbed-page, tabbed-menu thing needs some work. There are other parts of the New Post page that pop in and out depending on what buttons are clicked (like load draft, unglobalize a post, etc) that I still need to test, the "topic Review" section below the new post message, and the tabbed poll/options stuff at the bottom of the page all need to be addressed as well.
I'm just happy I didn't have to rebuild the server from scratch like I did in January after the update. Worst case, I toss up a fresh copy of phpBB and upload what I had on the desktop over top of it.
I'm also still struggling with the look and feel of some of the UI - like the buttons. The post tools and search buttons look very nice, and are from the prosilver theme - but there is not a complete enough set to use throughout the site. And the original New Post toolbar buttons looked like crap - as did the sort/filter thread/forum option buttons. I've gone with the jquery UI buttons with the light blue theme like I originally had, and hopefully I can make it all look right. It looks fine when all the buttons on a page are the same type, it's only when they start mixing that it becomes an issue - at least for me.