New "tsnX-dialup" Theme
This just in! Special news and announcements from the administrators will be posted here.

What do you think?

It's Great
No votes
It's ok
67%
It's better than nothing
No votes
Who cares as long as it loads faster
33%

Total votes: 3
Neo
The One

New "tsnX-dialup" Theme

by Neo » 28 Jan 2007, 15:04

So, 9 months after tsnX themes were released, there is one for the Dial-up users. This time, the images are in .jpg format, so they load quicker - but don't look as cool.

This theme is a mix between the Dark, Med, and Lite themes...and I haven't done a white-background theme in about 15 months, so to me, it just doesn't quite look right. But maybe it does to y'all. Let me know what you think...and if it sucks, how I can make it better - because I'm really at a loss here for ways to fix whatever might suck.

To change to the dialup theme, click Preferences above > Board Layout > select tsnX-Dialup from the dropdown menu, click Submit.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Drunkensailor
The Crusty Old Sea-Dog

by Drunkensailor » 28 Jan 2007, 18:10

yes!

It's excellent
Justin, in a rare moment of clarity

Bcjammer
Drift_Amelioration

by Bcjammer » 29 Jan 2007, 02:07

I still like silver better...but it's not bad really

I coulda sworn it took longer to load...maybe cause I have temp internet files of other version?

nevermind...on a page re-load and post and view post...it does seem faster...my bads
SOW what?

Neo
The One

by Neo » 29 Jan 2007, 13:22

The first time you load the page, it will take a couple seconds, because you have to download new images...but once you do (just like with the other themes) the images should be stored on your computer, unless you dump your temp internet files...then you have to download them again. Caching.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Scarlett
Level 9 - Traveling to town

by Scarlett » 11 Feb 2007, 11:53

Thank you. I hate dial-up, but it is what is available. No DSL, no cable, and no clear view of the sky. It did take a while to load, so thanks for the warning. Otherwise, I would have given up. I don't like the high contrast theme as much. It decreases readability on some sections and is harder on the eyes. I agree, it just doesn't look right. I do have to admit, I am willing to give up graphics altogether to increase speed. So, bottom line - thanks for thinking of those of us who are bandwidth-impaired.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 11 Feb 2007, 14:13

Ok, I will take a look at the colors again...I've got nothing else to do right now.

Where exactly were you having readability problems? That will help with deciding how I need to change things up.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Scarlett

by Scarlett » 11 Feb 2007, 14:22

Readability - top of page on TSN logo area, links are dark against a dark background. Hard on eyes is just the strong contrast of white background against dark blue background.

btw, I'm not complaining about that, because it is a little quicker. Anything that improves speed is strongly appreciated.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 11 Feb 2007, 14:24

I always have a problem up there if I do something that has a dark theme to it...because the rest of the page is white, and to make those texts lighter, and stay with the compliance of the "general usability" of a theme (being able to change one thing, and it propagate through the site) is a challenge.

I'll see if I can't make the header differently.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 11 Feb 2007, 14:32

How does that work for you? (and everyone else?)
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Scarlett

by Scarlett » 11 Feb 2007, 14:32

I know what you mean. Just depending on the program, some things are harder to do that they are worth. I am specifically thinking about distinct, changing pagination on Microsoft Word. It is literally easier to save each page change as a separate file. Sounds like this is one of those situations. Hope it's something you enjoy, maybe because of the challenge, or something.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 11 Feb 2007, 14:34

It is, or I wouldn't be doing this for free for everyone.

There are political issues that I have to deal with while doing it, that I don't particularly enjoy, but that's life as an Admin of anything.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Scarlett

by Scarlett » 11 Feb 2007, 14:47

Oh. I'm clueless about how this all works. I'm more of a point and clicker. Anyway, I like it. The light theme that I was on before the dial-up theme is one I like. High readability, low eyestrain. And you have some interesting and/or high function items. Links to navigate within the site are usable. That kind of thing. So, I don't have to know how it works to use it. Red flag, that sounds just like what people say on all those science-fiction movies where technology is failing, and they don't know how to fix it. Gotta put that on my ever-increasing list of things I have to learn/do.

Scarlett

by Scarlett » 11 Feb 2007, 14:51

Sorry 'bout the double post, but I was just fixing to log off, when I noticed the change. Cool. Fixed the readability issue. Probably the eye strain issue, too. That was quick.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 11 Feb 2007, 14:56

Heh, yeah, it only took 8 minutes to re-export another header (I've got about 7 versions queued up for use) and make a new background image, and then change a couple things in the header file...that's what's so nice about the "general compatibility" with themes.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]