The 5th Generation...
This just in! Special news and announcements from the administrators will be posted here.

Neo
The One

The 5th Generation...

by Neo » 09 Jan 2006, 20:07

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce that everyone who's posting on the site currently is a part of the 5th generation of posters we've had on the-spot.net.

After every major lull in the site, we lose a couple members, and gain a couple new members. This brings about a new change in information, a way threads are made, and a new perspective on how topics are discussed.

Some of you have been around since the every first generation. But there are not many of you who fit that. UPS, myself, possibly comter...we were all members of tsnI before we knew what My Spot was, or that it's better to host our own forums on a webhost than use lycos to do it.

Some of y'all have been around since the second generation when I started dating a girl, and never came back to the site during the 3 months that we were together. The site died, and I had to create tsnII. That was the first official upgrade and declaration of a new generation of posters...and it brought in a new kind of website, where we started to learn how to create a My Spot page and pull information from the forums. Most of it was manually done, and placed in Java Scripts, but it was a major step forward from static html. Some of those people are KD, JAD and a couple others that don't come around all that often.

The third generation was with the release of tsnIII, when we had the very first My Spot page written in PHP. For that site, I took 2 weeks to learn everything I needed to know about PHP, and put together the site in a month, to release on Jan 1 2004. It was the first "big deal" for a new site release, and brought about an aire of professionalism to the spot. It became an valid web community with dynamic content throughout, and several custom scripts that I created to do what I wanted with the forums. People around from this era include (but aren't limited to, because there are several...Lady Love, Divine David, azure_hopes_immortal, frostebitemartini, and tons of others from Nac. It wasn't until tsnIII that the site exploded as a playground for everyone from NHS.

Then in the end of January, there was the Great Crash of 2004 when the webhost (endore.com) went bankrupt and suddenly disappeared from the internet, taking with it thousands of websites and the data stored on them. Many people did not have backups, including us, of the data, and had to start from scratch. The online world was up in arms for several months, as social hackers tracked down the guy that ran the company and talked with his mother to find out what the deal was.

After that, everything went ok, when we got back online for a couple months, and a lull ensued with the end of the semester coming upon the site. After the lan party that summer though, people came back and in greater numbers. The Almighty One (TAO) was part of this boom, as was baka sushi, and others....but now they've kind of disappeared. BrazilsKiss stepped into the scene too during tsnIII, when we found each other on the internet randomly.

Then in June 2004 I began work on tsnIV, but that flopped because the design that I had in mind was made to be simple for changing, but the website that it turned into looked like crap. So I skipped tsnIV and went straight to V, with a new inspiration, and new twist on the graphics. I wanted a more realistic, but yet more abstract/clay-like logo, and a 3D design for the site. This new design did it. But to keep people coming, I added in a TON of new features. The release of tsnV brought in several users to come more often like Kaze and RageCage. This was the 4th generation.

And now, after the site went down for about a month, and weeded out all the people that were barely coming as it was, it's back up (and about to go back to the other server when I have officially made the right coding), and after the LAN party....there are several new people joining, and it's bringing about a shift in veterins vs newbies. It's manifesting itself in a new generation of posters, with more social networking to do, and more connections to make. People like WTM, and Dewey...Khaozarcher and others are bringing in new ideas and perspectives on old topics. It's just what is needed to spark up discussion once again. After all...when you run a forum for 3 years, you tend to cover everything under the sun, and then cover everything that's new in real-time.

If I left your name out (Because I know I did) then feel free to tell everyone at what point you joined the site...it'll give everyone a sense of who's been around for a while, and who to ask questions to.

So welcome to tsnV....Welcome to the next evolution.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 09 Jan 2006, 20:11

Just for kicks. I joined the site when tsn was actually tsc....thespot.com (but that name wasn't available....and now that it's tsn, it's much cooler.)

It was an idea on a piece of paper, on my desk at my mom's house in the country....where I had no internet, and no computer to use, and no hope of ever getting any. I think I told my brother Agent Smith about it, but I don't think he took me seriously as to what I had planned to do with it. He does now. ;)
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

kaze
The Dark Wind Star

by kaze » 09 Jan 2006, 23:20

Technically I was a member ever since tsnIII was around, but I didn't get on as much as I do now. :wink:
Check out my: TSN Journal

Drunkensailor
The Crusty Old Sea-Dog

by Drunkensailor » 10 Jan 2006, 01:24

I joined a month of two after the crash... tsnIII and a half...

shortly afterwards (in tweo weeks) my postcount lept to 400

later I became a mod and recently am a dormant member who still checks back when the time is right.
Justin, in a rare moment of clarity

wheresthemedic
America's Hero

by wheresthemedic » 10 Jan 2006, 08:09

I origanally joined a couple of years ago as "El Duce" aka, The Duke. The name of that bad ass on Boondock Sanits. I didn't keep up with it though and got a fresh start (theres you anwser Neo) as WTM. I do plan to keep up with it now however. This is a great place to express my views on some matters (some of you know I have taken no time in doing this ;)) and people will listen, well read really, and not get upset. I can also read others views on matters. It is a great oppurtunity to gain insite on the thought process of others and had opened my eyes to differnet views
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 10 Jan 2006, 08:31

I like that positive outlook on the discussions. Though sometimes they get heated, it does give you an opportunity to see how others view it and why...that's how I look at it as well. (And I thought you had been here)
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

Re: The 5th Generation...

by Pam » 10 Jan 2006, 08:35

Neo wrote:Some of y'all have been around since the second generation when I started dating a girl, and never came back to the site during the 3 months that we were together. The site died, and I had to create tsnII. That was the first official upgrade and declaration of a new generation of posters...and it brought in a new kind of website, where we started to learn how to create a My Spot page and pull information from the forums. Most of it was manually done, and placed in Java Scripts, but it was a major step forward from static html. Some of those people are KD, JAD and a couple others that don't come around all that often.

The third generation was with the release of tsnIII, when we had the very first My Spot page written in PHP. For that site, I took 2 weeks to learn everything I needed to know about PHP, and put together the site in a month, to release on Jan 1 2004. It was the first "big deal" for a new site release, and brought about an aire of professionalism to the spot. It became an valid web community with dynamic content throughout, and several custom scripts that I created to do what I wanted with the forums. People around from this era include (but aren't limited to, because there are several...Lady Love, Divine David, azure_hopes_immortal, frostebitemartini, and tons of others from Nac. It wasn't until tsnIII that the site exploded as a playground for everyone from NHS.
Actually Neo...I was around before Jan 1 2004...I came around sometime before October 2003. Just to clear things up. Because I remember before there was a My Spot page, and how happy I was when there finally was a myspot page...

so yeah..

wheresthemedic
America's Hero

by wheresthemedic » 10 Jan 2006, 10:13

Neo, you're suppost to know about these things. If you can't come through on stuff like that i'm going to have to give you a new name.....The Two.

Yeah, thats a little corny.....
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 10 Jan 2006, 12:04

I know...I posted that in about 10 minutes before I left for dinner. I didn't have time to go back and check dates on when people joined, and I based it on when they made a noticeable impact in my opinion on the site.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 10 Jan 2006, 12:30

Whoa......*shakes head* I've heard those same exact words before...(or well...read them, at least...)

KD
The Cute One...Ph34r M3!

by KD » 10 Jan 2006, 12:59

I even remember etboo.com. That was a long time ago. I never joined or anything, but I remember UPS was on there and every once and a while I would browse the site. Even when you guys were on the first version of the-spot, I remember coming in everyonce in a while. I think the main people were UPS, Neo, maybe SOW, and a couple of others... I think I may have posted a couple of times, because I remember UPS bugging me forever and a day to check it out :P It was a good thing too cause this place rocks.
"Every person has their own story. Open their book if you want to understand them. It may be a better read than you anticipated." -Me

kaze
The Dark Wind Star

by kaze » 10 Jan 2006, 13:27

I'm glad I've joined or else I would have been stuck here in Phoenix with noone to talk to...thanks guys, and ladies or course. 8) :wink:
Check out my: TSN Journal

Bcjammer
Drift_Amelioration

by Bcjammer » 11 Jan 2006, 00:04

I have no clue how long I've been here...off and on a bit...man the sadest time in my life was when I lived behind TSTC in waco..no internet OR cable available...couldn't post for a LONG time

I just member the crash...so so very sad...and of course the many..many...MANY updates of the site..always cool...crashes...not good ;)

*edit..am I the only person with "official member" under their name?
SOW what?

Legionofone
The Secksay One

by Legionofone » 16 Jan 2006, 11:33

i think im 4th gen... O_o or 3rd i cant remember it was like a year and a half ago...
"Fat People are Hard to Kidnap"
"the best your gonna get is walking to walmart to buy a microwave so you can nuke your undies before you goto bed at night."

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Jan 2006, 12:30

you're part of the third generation. tsnV didn't come out until 2005 in june, when the 4th gen started.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]