Virus disguises itself as MSN Messenger beta
This just in! Special news and announcements from the administrators will be posted here.

Neo
The One

Virus disguises itself as MSN Messenger beta

by Neo » 28 Dec 2005, 11:09

A virus masquerading as a new beta version of Microsoft's MSN Messenger has begun circulating, antivirus company F-Secure said on its blog Tuesday.

The virus, which F-Secure calls Virkel.F, comes as a file called BETA8WEBINSTALL.EXE that can be downloaded from a Web site. Running the program installs not a new MSN Messenger beta, but rather a virus that sends download links to a computer user's MSN Messenger buddies. The virus falsely labels the link as "MSN Messenger 8 Working BETA."

"It also connects your machine to a botnet server," F-Secure warned, meaning that a person's computer can be controlled remotely to attack other machines or send spam.

Malicious software that uses instant messenger programs is growing more common. A November study by Akonix Systems identified 62 examples.

And Microsoft's instant-messenger infrastructure is the most popular conduit for attack, IMlogic said in an October study.

Read Article - cnet.com

DON'T CLICK THE IM FOLKS!!!...I'm tired of getting virus IMs from my buddies that don't know any better!
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 28 Dec 2005, 11:51

You know, an easy way to avoid getting those viruses, is this: Even if someone on your buddy list sends you a link, or an e-mail with a link or whatever, don't click it, open it, or whatever, until you talk to your friend and know for absolutely 100% that it is a good clean link from your friend.

But you are right, Neo, I hate getting those random virus ims from people. It's annoying. And then they are like, huh? I didn't send you anything. Yeah...*sigh*

rueishness
The Psycho Psycho-Healer

by rueishness » 28 Dec 2005, 12:27

woe! not my beloved MSN! *hugs it*

Neo
The One

by Neo » 28 Dec 2005, 12:44

You're right LL...and that's what I Tell people when they have contracted one, and were n00bs about it.

so to reiterate:
- If you didn't ask for an email from your friend, don't open it.
- If you didn't ask for an email from ANYONE, don't open it.
- If you get an IM from your friend, talk back to it...
- If you get a link in an IM from your friend, ask them if they sent it before you open it.
- And to be on the safe side, don't click links in IM windows! If you want to open a link someone sent you, copy/paste the text of the link, or just type it into the browser. Users of trillian can hold your mouse over the link and a little tool-tip window will tell you where the link goes. But you should still highlight, copy and paste the text to be on the safe side....if you insist on opening links from people in IMs...or even emails.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]