tsnV New Posts RSS Feeds
This just in! Special news and announcements from the administrators will be posted here.

Neo
The One

tsnV New Posts RSS Feeds

by Neo » 23 Jul 2005, 22:03

If you've not already noticed, when you go to a specific forum (i.e. Kickback Cafe, Ecclesia, Journals, etc) at the top of every forum index there is an RSS Image link. If you click that, then you can syndicate (or receive via RSS Feed software) all the new posts for that particular forum, if you don't want to receive ALL the new posts on the site.

Currently the journals are unavailable for RSS because they are hidden from non-members. But I"m looking into a way to get them RSS'd for members.

But if you prefer to receive all the new posts on the site, then use the RSS Feed link on the My Spot Page.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

[wizard]
1337 h4x0r 4dm!n

by [wizard] » 24 Jul 2005, 20:35

schweet 8)

RageCage
The OUTMATE

by RageCage » 25 Jul 2005, 11:51

Hey Neo, I downloaded that Desktop sidebar you suggested, but I can not get it to display correctly. Maybe I am not putting it in right. You think when you get some free time you could help me out. I know you are at work right now, so take your time, but I would really appreciate it.
They say "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is "Evil prevails".
War is not about what's right. It's about what's left.
Bullets change governments far surer than votes.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 25 Jul 2005, 11:55

right click on the RSS Feed image link that you want...choose Copy Shortcut, or Copy Link Location (depending on your browser).

Go to your Sidebar, and find the Newsroom section...if there's not one, then right click and Add Panel.

Right click on the Newsroom panel, choose Panel Properties...click Add RSS/Atom Feed url...paste the link you copied into that url box. click Ok, ok, and you should start receiving them.

If that doesn't work then I'll help you later tonight when I get home.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

RageCage
The OUTMATE

by RageCage » 25 Jul 2005, 12:11

Right on man, you rock. I think I got it to work, now I just have to see if it is working right. The refresh button isn't really working, but I am gonna keep messing with it.

Appreciate it.
They say "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is "Evil prevails".

Neo
The One

by Neo » 25 Jul 2005, 12:37

If you want it to be RealTime postage...right click on the NewsRoom panel, choose Panel Properties, click View tab, and at the bottom, change Default Refresh rate to 1 minute or something. What ever you want it to be.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

RageCage
The OUTMATE

by RageCage » 26 Jul 2005, 08:28

right on neo. I got it to work.
Thanks for the help.

Now that it is working right, it is actually much more helpful.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 26 Jul 2005, 11:04

For those that use Firefox, or have an RSS Aggregator in their IE...

I have included into the code for the page the link to the tsnV rss feed for all posts. IF you notice in FireFox, you'll see the little Orange icon in the status bar of Firefox. Also in IE, you should be able to click the subscribe button on your toolbar (if you're using Desktop Sidebar, and IE) to subscribe to the feed.

In addition to that, since I haven't been able to find a decent rss-to-html aggregator for rss feeds for tsn News, I have instead included a Quote of the Day, Funny Quote of the Day, and Word of the Day on the My spot page in its place.

I'm going to be moving some things around - mainly the Top 10 lists to the bottom of the page, and putting a calendar below the TSN Special Report section...to increase awareness of the calendar.

I'll try to keep it looking as clean and organized as possible - and if it ends up not looking like I want, then I'll try something else.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 03 Aug 2005, 08:45

For those that want to know more about RSS Feeds (coupled with their integral design into the new IE 7), here is a blog post from the IE 7 programer group:

[url=http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/08/02/446280.aspx]Read Blog[/url]
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 18 Aug 2005, 14:27

For those that are curious what an RSS feed would look like in the desktop sidebar, check out my screenshot:
View Image
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]