"Conversation starting to suck," says experts
This just in! Special news and announcements from the administrators will be posted here.

Neo
The One

"Conversation starting to suck," says experts

by Neo » 08 Mar 2004, 11:54

Ok, so we're no experts, but we're as close as they get.

However, UPS and I have noticed that our conversation on the site has sort of dwindled into meaningless nonsense that only a few people can relate to...examples are with LL and JAD flirting...BS, DP6, (et al.) in their fantasy middle-aged Japanese war discussions...endless talk of games that only a couple people have played...and of course the multi-page, post-boosting games in the kickback cafe.

Now, don't get me wrong, conversation is good, but what we've got here on the site as of lately is a focused discussion that other visitors to the site can't even relate to, thus they don't come by as much as they used to. Even I myself last night thought while I was reading "shoot, if I wasn't running this site, then I would leave it...it's boring."

So I talked with UPS about it, and he noted the same thing. After a little bit of discussion, we have come up with some, hopefully, thought-provoking threads that are designed to turn the conversation of the site into something more useful, thoughtful, and something that anyone can relate to. You'll be seeing these threads every once and a while to get conversation going again.

If you've got any ideas as well, do post them - we're trying to grow our site...the more people that come, the more people there are to buy from the Freeform Frog store, and the more money I can invest into making the site better.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

wonder6oy
Level 6 - Quest taker

by wonder6oy » 15 May 2004, 15:03

Honestly, much of the time, I can't even FIND the conversation due to the unnecesarilly large number of categories and sub-categories. Narrowing things down considerably may help to eliminate some confusion and effectively promote a more "community" atmosphere rather than a segregated one.

In the past, when posting on other forum sites, I would RARELY visit more than one category before wrapping up.

My $.02 8)

wonder6oy
Level 6 - Quest taker

by wonder6oy » 15 May 2004, 15:05

...For example - I would never even have FOUND this post if I hadn't accidentally clicked the wrong button while trying to get where I usally go.

Leaving this category now...

baka sushi
Aqua Man

by baka sushi » 15 May 2004, 15:11

Perhaps you should be a little more strict about non-realted posts, such as...well, you know...things that do not directly refer to the subject at hand....that "idle conversation" should be kept for the "Just For Fun", right? I, myself, do not exactly worry about the conversations, because I can always write something about anything...so I'm lucky...but I'll try to keep the conversation more relevant...okay?
Pass A Fist: The New Wave of "Non-Violence"
URG-URG-GURK!

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 May 2004, 00:32

I'll look into it.

We did delete and combine several repetitive forums before, but there are other things now that people want to do, so I feel that a different forum that would be appropriate for them should be created. But perhaps one general purpose forum for the crap that people spew from their finger tips would be good...you know, the random stuff. And getting rid of a couple extra ones....

We'll see...
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Incognito
The Stealthly Guy

by Incognito » 16 May 2004, 20:15

Im sorry NEO, i sometimes post random useless things, but like Baka, i always have something to say...i just hope that i stop random posting...i have a mild case of ADD...hehe

Neo
The One

by Neo » 17 May 2004, 00:34

We aren't pointing any fingers...and if you read the dates on the original post, you'll see that this thread was started WAY before you joined...same with Wonder6oy. This is old News, and didn't really need to be rediscussed...but it does serve as a reminder to post pertinent stuff.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

= SIR JAD =
The Ultimate Gaming Chef

by = SIR JAD = » 17 May 2004, 01:24

well I feel the exact same way... most of the topics have to do with things I don't know anything about... ex. D & D... well I have been posting a lot lot less lately due to the lack of interest I have... I noticed the same thing with Link.. he doesn't post as often anymore either... he just posts his journals and that is it... no conversations are really taking place... I miss that... I enjoyed the conversations... and I think he did too.. there is too many private jokes going down or something like that , something I don't understand... so if things could be more everyone oriented... maybe I would be more interested....
I CHALLENGE YOUR GRANDMOTHER TO A COOKING DUEL.... and if she beats me.. She and I will play Unreal Tournament...

vimmington
PimPMasteR TallyWhackeR

by vimmington » 17 May 2004, 09:57

maybe we can start some new polls to see different peoples opinions on different subjects.... for instance have some polls about politics, food, games, girl/guy relationships, advise, etc. i think that might help.
"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive, and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Gil Bailie-

Incognito
The Stealthly Guy

by Incognito » 17 May 2004, 11:59

vim is right, this is the thing to bring posting back up...and more people to join

Neo
The One

by Neo » 17 May 2004, 21:28

Well, they're great ideas and all...but it doesn't do any good to just talk about it...make it happen. It's the job of the members to have discussions...it's the moderator's job to moderate things when they get out of hand. Sometimes we start discussions too, but if there is something you would like to talk about, talk about it.

We do need more conversation though...frankly, I am tired of all the game/anime/foreign threads that go on here...because I don't know anything about any of it, and don't care to find out. But I say nothing, because people all talk about it.

If you think we need more polls, make them...more conversations, start them...more debates, ask them. But don't just rely solely on the admin to promote conversation. ;) It's hard for us to think of something to say that everyone will want to talk about.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]