Some more changes...
This just in! Special news and announcements from the administrators will be posted here.

Neo
The One

Some more changes...

by Neo » 31 May 2005, 12:51

Over the next couple of days, you will probably notice some changes to the forum layout, and structure. Some forums may be added, some may be moved, and others may seemingly disappear.

Don't worry - this is all in preparation for the release of tsnV, which will be happening this week.

As we prepare for this change, a new system of forums is going to be implemented...one in which things are more organized and centrally located. For example, if you wanted to see all the stuff about movies, music, books, religion, politics, and sports, in one place, and not be bothered by all the other forums, you can simply visit, or bookmark the Popular Culture forum.
If you only want to see the Punix-GT stuff, there will be a Punix-GT forum.

So while some things may be changing or disappearing from view, it's only temporary, and everything is still there - you just may not be able to see it at that time.

There will be more to come as these changes progress.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

RageCage
The OUTMATE

by RageCage » 31 May 2005, 16:56

Yeah I have noticed a few things. I don't know where I heard it but I thought you were gonna release TSN V at the next lan party. I mean it doesn't matter to me where you do it, sooner is better anyway.
They say "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is "Evil prevails".
War is not about what's right. It's about what's left.
Bullets change governments far surer than votes.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 31 May 2005, 18:04

ooo, I like that idea...but it's not accurate.

I said the next lan party was going to be (coincidentally) commemorative of the release of the LAN Arena 2.0 and tsnV (since they'll both happen about the same time).
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

RageCage
The OUTMATE

by RageCage » 31 May 2005, 19:45

My goodness Neo, you wanna take a break and have a glass of tea or something? I see so many changes going on it is like you are.....wait a minute are you superman? But hey you are doing good, figure I would give you a little support. Keep up the good work.
They say "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is "Evil prevails".

Neo
The One

by Neo » 31 May 2005, 23:25

Ok, so I didn't get to finish it tonight. Sucks.

I am determined though, not to release a half-ass product. I have been doing that with all the previous versions, and working on them as I felt like it...which wasn't often, once they were released.

There are some broken links in the code that don't work...and links that I can't find the code for to modify them to make them work.

There are also some design issues that I am still working on, because if it doesn't look right, then it's not the tsnV experience.

I believe that since this is such a major overhaul of the code, and site, the complications can be expected. But I really want to have it out this week...we'll see how that goes though, since the month-beginning starts up tomorrow at work, and my time, once again, gets crammed into everything at once.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

Time zone issue

by Neo » 01 Jun 2005, 09:26

There is an issue with the timezone on the new site, so when we switch (until I can figure out how to correct it in the code) you'll have to change your timezone to one hour ahead (i.e. GMT-6 becomes GMT-5)

It might just be that right now there is a conflicting issue with the Daylight Savings time option on the new site, inside the database, on the old site that doesn't support it. So just play with your timezone until you're seeing the right time, if it's wrong.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 01 Jun 2005, 22:43

I spent the rest of the evening after working late, trying to find a bit of code that would help me solve the problem of clicking on the PM graphic in posts, and it taking you to pre-filled PM Screen. Well, that took a good 3 hours to find in the burried code that is tsnV...

Now, the even more challenging task (after having looked through all that code, and making changes) is to find out just where that code goes...because nothing worked so far. <_<

I'm trying - I really am. But I think to release a site with no Private Messaging capabilities - or mediocre ones at that, would be detremental.

So many bugs. The idea that RageCage conceived of releasing it at the LAN Party is starting to sound better and better. But I am going to release it as soon as I can.

I want it as bad as some of you do.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 01 Jun 2005, 23:17

I amaze myself. Yes...I know it's probably not hard, but still.

Giving the site another 45 minutes, with a little more thinking and determination, I have fixed (to the degree of testing that was previously in place) the problem with the PM links.

Granted, there will still be some issues when the site is released as more users use more links, but that is expected.

We are now one step closer to releasing tsnV.

*checks his list....*

All that's left now:
- Combining forums
- Testing some scripts on the My Spot page
- Changing some links in the Header
- Fixing a link issue in the forum index for the newest topics

Then I just need to make a couple informative posts so that I don't get asked so many questions, and we'll be all set!
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 03 Jun 2005, 00:18

yay...tonight I have finally compiled the code to show the newest posts for the My Spot page...as well as worked out some more bugs. The My Spot page is slowly but quickly coming together, and should be ready for release by the weekend.

I'm strongly considering dedicating the release to BrazilsKiss as well. I think it would be fitting, and a nice jesture.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Punix-GT
The Bassplayer

by Punix-GT » 03 Jun 2005, 00:27

Brazilskiss? Dare I ask why? o_O

otherwise, I'm looking forward to the release ^__^
¤uraniumpoppyseed imploded¤
Stay out of trouble, they don't show anime in jail!!! O_O
viva la deptula demise!!!
+10 Randomtivity points by UraniumPoppySeed

Neo
The One

by Neo » 03 Jun 2005, 00:29

http://www.the-spot.net/viewtopic.php?t=2644

All you need to know is there.

My Comments are in my journal entry - that I'm posting right now.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

RageCage
The OUTMATE

by RageCage » 03 Jun 2005, 04:38

Neo wrote:So many bugs. The idea that RageCage conceived of releasing it at the LAN Party is starting to sound better and better. But I am going to release it as soon as I can.
Listen I can't take credit for that idea although I would love to. It was a misunderstanding. Me and Baka both thought that was what was gonna happen. I think you said something about showing it off at the lan party and that is what confused us.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 06 Jun 2005, 00:17

Argh....this is frustrating.

You know what it's like when...well, you probably don't, since I'm quite possibly the only one that does this...but anyway...when you think you're just about done with something, and you find something ELSE that's wrong with it.

Ok, so that sentence turned out better than I though - more general.

I was almost done with the My Spot page. I have some of the code issues worked out, and error messages are fixed. Then I save some PMs because they were filling up my Inbox, and I notice ANOTHER code error. The PMs save, but it redirects to a page that isn't there. UGH...so now I have to sift through the millions of lines of code that is tsnV, and fine yet another problem spot in the Private Message System. (That's what I spent all night Friday doing).

And then I noticed that some functionality was not present in the My Spot page...like Logging in :razz: because one has to be logged in automatically, and hard coded into the code to see tsnV anyway, so I never had to use it, and can't test it. But anyway, I think I have THAT fixed.

So it will be sometime this week when I just say "Screw it" and release it all in Beta form, so that way we can get on with this project, and everyone can find my errors a lot quicker than I could.

I just don't want to release a crap website, when this one is hyped up to be so much better than tsnIII. I know a lot of people are opposed to change, so to make it convincing to them to go along with it, it has to work on the first try.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

baka sushi
Aqua Man

by baka sushi » 06 Jun 2005, 11:31

NEO wrote:I just don't want to release a crap website, when this one is hyped up to be so much better than tsnIII. I know a lot of people are opposed to change, so to make it convincing to them to go along with it, it has to work on the first try.
Hey, anyone that is gonna' appreciate it in the first place would totally understand what you're trying to accomplish. If you think it'd be faster to release the beta version so everyone else can help find all the kinks, then so be it. It could be a group project. Let's face it. You're the creator, but you rely on your loyal members to keep it going. We're the soul of this place, is what I mean. If TSN ever needs help in anyway, there are people here to help! You have but to ask, ya' know? We're all in this together!

....how'd you like my anime speech? ^o^
Pass A Fist: The New Wave of "Non-Violence"
URG-URG-GURK!

Neo
The One

by Neo » 06 Jun 2005, 11:36

I was thinking about it this morning (instead of working) and I am going to edit the code and filenames, so that anyone (who normally would have made the change) will be able to see it..based on what template they are using in their profile.

Basically, if your profile is set to use tsnIII Blue, then you'll be able to go to http://www.the-spot.net/tsnV and use the new site. If not, you can change it, and you'll be able to see the site. But not until tonight will all that happen.

EDIT: And anyone that beta tests with us will be able to keep the l33t pts, and Spotics they earn while doing so...as well as the posts.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]