High School Reunions
Invite your friends over, pour a couple drinks, have a seat together in the living room for a general, but more serious discussion about stuff in general.

Punix-GT
The Bassplayer

High School Reunions

by Punix-GT » 13 May 2015, 03:32

So I got an invite earlier today for our High School 15 year Reunion.

To be honest, I don't know how I feel about it. Should I feel excited considering I missed my 10 year? I was living in Oregon at the time of our last reunion. Or should I feel like I should grudgingly go? I didn't really enjoy my high school experience all that much. There were a few good memories, but for the most part, I wasn't really invited to a lot of social interactions and most of my "friends" were because we were in Church together. I think I just wanted to get out of High School as soon as possible. I wasn't the drinker, I wasn't the party-goer, I wasn't really one of the "cool guys." I was just...there.

So either I regret not going, or I regret going. If anything, I'll go, and if I don't like it, I'll just leave.

What are your thoughts on High School Reunions?
¤uraniumpoppyseed imploded¤
Stay out of trouble, they don't show anime in jail!!! O_O
viva la deptula demise!!!
+10 Randomtivity points by UraniumPoppySeed

Neo
The One

Re: High School Reunions

by Neo » 13 May 2015, 13:09

When I was in High School, I told everyone I would marry an actress, and I'd come back for the 10 year reunion in a helicopter and land in the football field.

I did marry someone who was heavy into theater - but she worked back stage. However, I did not go back to the reunion for one main [big] reason:

I don't actually talk to anyone from high school.

Sure I have them on facebook, and occasionally I'll comment on something they post - but most of the people I actually hung out with in high school are either not on facebook, or there isn't anything I can really talk with them about. I just don't have anything in common with them anymore...not to mention I am a completely different person as far as political, religious, and personal views are concerned. I wouldn't even know who to contact from then and how to relate to them over the internet.

I would say that you should do whatever you feel like doing - if you don't think you'll have a good time getting back together with people you knew 15 years ago (though, here we are on tsn...15 years later), then don't bother going. If there are some people you think you might want to hang out with though, maybe message them on facebook and see if they're going - or see if they want to hangout outside of the reunion while they're in town. It doesn't have to be a school-sanctioned get-together...we're adults after all ;)
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 15 May 2015, 08:33

My 10 year high school reunion is in June......I won't be going (it's only like 20 minutes from where I live now). I never really hung out with anyone from school. My last 2 years of school I had late arrival and early dismissal; I hated being in school so much and was ready to be done. I'm friends with a ton of them on facebook, and will also like some posts, comment on some things, but that's about it. I don't really consider any of them to be "friends" because I don't talk to them anymore, never hang out with them, and if I needed help or anything they wouldn't be the first people I would reach out to. Sometimes I look back and wish I had made better friends while in school; but when I look at where I am now, I'm happy with where I'm at and I'm ok with the decisions I made in school. College was a different story and I made some great life-long friends there, and would meet up with many of them in a heartbeat if I had the opportunity to do so.
-D$
:ninja:

Punix-GT
The Bassplayer

by Punix-GT » 16 May 2015, 17:01

Yeah, I've determined that College was the better medium to make friends because for the most part, it was easier to make friends at a place you WANT to be at, rather than high school where you HAD to be at because of where your parents decided to live. You didn't really have much of a choice where you attend High School at, so when it boiled down to making friends, it's a bit more difficult than college.
¤uraniumpoppyseed imploded¤
Stay out of trouble, they don't show anime in jail!!! O_O
viva la deptula demise!!!
+10 Randomtivity points by UraniumPoppySeed

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 20 May 2015, 10:33

I had similar (or worse) experiences as most of you in high school. I have a few friends on facebook and I maybe see one or two of the for coffee in real life. I actually work in the same building now (different departments, though) as an old high school acquaintance.

Where it's different for me is I wish I could go to a high school reunion (I haven't been contacted for one). My few friends I've told this to basically all ask why I would want that since my life was terrible at that time. What I say is, I'm a different person now. And they're different people now. For all I know we have a lot in common now that we didn't then and I could find "new" friends that I wouldn't have found in high school. Hell, one of my classmates is a professional, award-winning opera singer. I'm curious where everyone went. And unlike in high school, I can just choose to not be near those I don't want to interact with.

Do I really want to let things that were done to me 10 years+ ago prevent me from maybe re-establishing a friendship? Maybe back then I would have but the my current self sees it as an opportunity. If nothing else, I'm out a couple hours of my life, at most, and maybe I get free food. I'd probably be at home gaming or watching TV as it was.
The deeper darker me ever grows,
Until the light burns it apart,
Leaving behind my scorched and naked heart.

"Those who submit are not always weak" - Hyacinth