Comic TV Shows
Did you see the what that guy did in the show with the person at the place with the stuff? OMG it excited my eyeholes!

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

Comic TV Shows

by DMoney » 16 Apr 2015, 19:25

As everyone knows, there have been many comics getting their own TV show. I won't be universe specific for now, but off the top of my head there's Arrow, Flash, Agents of SHIELD, Agent Carter, DareDevil, and probably others. What are your thoughts on them? Is there one you really love? I've been watching/following all of those I mentioned except for Agent Carter. There's stuff I like about them; there's stuff I don't like about them. I've only gotten a handful of episodes into DareDevil on Netflix, but so far I think they've done a GREAT job with it. Hopefully that continues though. Also if there's others I missed that I may not know about, let me know so I can possibly check them out and add them to my list of shows to watch.
-D$
:ninja:

Neo
The One

Re: Comic TV Shows

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 20:46

One that didn't make your list is Gotham. I really wanted to enjoy a hero show, because Heroes season 1 really got me...and then they lost me with Season 2 and even more with Season 3. I'm curious to see what they do with Season 4 that should be coming out soon.

I wanted Gotham to be successful, and they tried really hard with Gotham and put in some well known actors - but the idea of an ongoing drama where nothing actually happens just makes the concept boring. I watched NBC's The Cape, and every night was knocking out a different villain. It wasn't Heroes, but it wasn't terrible. I tried to do Agents of SHIELD, but I couldn't quite get into the storyline, especially since it has characters who shouldn't be there (like the main one) if it falls in the timelines of the movies.

I completely ignored Arrow and didn't know about Flash, and never heard of Agent Carter. I am tempted by Daredevil, but I saw nothing wrong with Ben Affleck's version of it...but the Jennifer Garner spin-off was iffy as a movie.

I agree with something someone else posted on facebook, referencing all these Avengers 2 trailers - it'd be nice to see a candid show featuring the avengers people in their day-to-day or in a weekly get together or something. However, in all practicality, I can't help but feel they'd fall flat as well.

I suppose my main issue with TV-show versions, especially of characters that have already made a big screen appearance is that they are recast. In Gotham, I was certain they used the same boy for Young Bruce Wayne as they did for the flashbacks in the Christopher Nolan movies, but it's just not the case. And then they used what sounds like an Australian accent for a British Alfred - that is inexcusable.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 16 Apr 2015, 21:08

I LOVE Agents of SHIELD!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!! But...what do you mean that the Main character shouldn't be there?? It all fits in perfectly with the movie timelines. Maybe you didn't watch enough to understand it.

I also REALLY like Agent Carter. I like that it shows what happened to her after the love of her life went crashing down with the plane. It's pretty awesome.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 21:13

Pam wrote:I LOVE Agents of SHIELD!! LOVE LOVE LOVE!! But...what do you mean that the Main character shouldn't be there?? It all fits in perfectly with the movie timelines. Maybe you didn't watch enough to understand it.
That is probably the case. I have a hard time with shows that are released after the movie, but somewhere else in the timeline. That is why I'm only now, as an adult (though started years ago) watching all the Star Trek shows and movies in the order they take place, not the order they were released.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 16 Apr 2015, 21:19

It isn't somewhere else in the timeline. In fact, before the last....Captain America, I think it was...anywho, before it came out...the TV show was going along right with it, and you actually had to watch the movie before you watched the next episode, or else what was going on in the show wouldn't make much sense. I'm interested in seeing what they do with the new Avengers coming out.

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 16 Apr 2015, 21:53

I did forget about Gotham, that's another one that we watch. My wife absolutely LOVES Gotham. I think they've done alright with it, but again, there's some stuff I don't like about it. I still watch them purely for the entertainment, and the fact that for the most part I like them more than most other TV shows out there, but I really want them to do something amazing with any comic. I appreciate that they're trying, and they're doing a decent job (I realize it's hard to take a comic and make it into a TV show with real actors), I'm just read for something to be perfect. haha
-D$

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 16 Apr 2015, 22:26

I have watched all except Agent Carter and DareDevil, so I'll weigh in on the ones I've seen/still currently watch. I do want to see DareDevil as I didn't like either that or the spin-off movie and I've heard amazing things about the Netflix show.

Arrow: I avoided it because I honestly like the Oliver Queen/Green Arrow of Smallville, but we got it for Christmas and needed something to watch on our down days at Disney World. Arrow to me was done in a "Dark Knight" style approach but made for TV. It pleasantly surprised me but three seasons in, the flashbacks are getting old. Also, they are really pushing the limits of believability, even for a comic, with how people survive what should kill them. A note about the casting though, they did try to get Liam Neeson for Ra's Al'ghul but scheduling didn't align. In a way I think that's a great attempt to bring in the movies with the tv show.

Flash: I like the premise but the acting and storyline falls so horribly flat for me. It has the feel of the first seasons of Smallville where it's "bad guy of the week" each week. The supporting characters are over the top characterized in a way that makes them more jokes than realistic. Comparing the teams in Arrow and the Flash, Arrow's team is realistic with faults and personalities whereas the Flash's team is reduced to schtick and exaggerated traits. I'm hoping this fades as the plots and characters develop depth, as it did with Smallville.

Gotham: We have only watched half, though the rest if PVRed because we were just not getting into it. It's got a good feel and I'm a big fan of Pinkett-Smith's portrayal of Fish but it was just going a whole lotta nowhere a lot of the time. So dry even when it was visually lovely.

Agents of SHIELD: My other half enjoys it way more than I do. I like that it ties in exactly with the movies, even though that's purely a marketing scheme. The fact they do get people like Samuel L. Jackson to make appearances to tie it in is a plus. I just... the acting is so bad. I love some of the characters and I watch it for that, but I find it to be only semi-decently written and for so long the acting was beyond stilted. They could get rid of Skye and bring the quality up so much from just removing her completely. I think she's neat but the actor portraying her is so stiff Kristen Stewart looks expressive in comparison.
The deeper darker me ever grows,
Until the light burns it apart,
Leaving behind my scorched and naked heart.

"Those who submit are not always weak" - Hyacinth

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 16 Apr 2015, 22:42

Vanyl wrote:Agents of SHIELD: They could get rid of Skye and bring the quality up so much from just removing her completely. I think she's neat but the actor portraying her is so stiff Kristen Stewart looks expressive in comparison.
NOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE Skye!!!! And I HATE that...wait...spoiler..nevermind...UGH...anywho...I love her character and I think that the actress does a great job with her. I was actually just getting caught up on this show tonight, I'm just 1 episode behind.

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 16 Apr 2015, 22:47

Yeah...she's one of my least favorites on the show.
Vanyl wrote:I think she's neat but the actor portraying her is so stiff Kristen Stewart looks expressive in comparison.
This made me bust out laughing, thanks.
-D$

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 16 Apr 2015, 23:33

I went to like that comment lol D$.

I think the actress who plays Skye is hot, but so very very stiff. I mean the prim and proper British Gemma Simmons is more warm and human than Skye. It just feels weird. She's my biggest issue I think with the acting. Phil Coleson is a little off but I think it's channeling the aloofness of his character in the movies so I let it slide.

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 16 Apr 2015, 23:37

I think Skye is "stiff" because of everything she has been through. Her lack of parents, Ward, finding out all this crazy information about herself. She blocks everything off and doesn't show emotion to protect herself. Gemma is just a like a mother to everyone, sort of, and just has such a bright outlook on everything, and everything is going to work out in the end! Phil's aloofness is goofy, and also has to do with everything that he has gone through.

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 23:40

Vanyl wrote:It's got a good feel and I'm a big fan of Pinkett-Smith's portrayal of Fish.
You realize she is a made-up character for the show...not an actual cannon character?
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 16 Apr 2015, 23:41

But I think if Skye was stiff deliberately, it would be more like Agent May, who is stiff in a purposeful way. I think at least in part Skye is stiff due to the actress.

Yes, Neo, I realize. I still like the portrayal, regardless of cannon. I'm not a fan of Batman cannon as it is. lol

bethnangel
Level 6 - Quest taker

by bethnangel » 24 Apr 2015, 21:19

I'm totally enjoying Gotham! It does have a tendency to run slow, but I like getting all of the characters back stories...so excited that the riddler finally branched out...all for love.

Flash come in as a close second, though I cannot say why. Its just an enjoyable watch. Perhaps its the somewhat lighthearted nature of the show that keeps me coming back.
beth><>

Neo
The One

by Neo » 24 Apr 2015, 22:58

bethnangel wrote:I'm totally enjoying Gotham! It does have a tendency to run slow, but I like getting all of the characters back stories...so excited that the riddler finally branched out...all for love.
Man, I knew I should have kept watching it...they were not going anywhere with Riddler and Cat-"girl" when I stopped during the holidays.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]