tsn8 Feature Discussion
If it can't be real, it can be virtual. Pull up a chair, and hang out with everyone at The-Spot.NetCafé. Here you'll find discussions not suitable for other forums and their precious "topics of discussion."

Neo
The One

Re: tsn8 Feature Discussion

by Neo » 13 Jun 2015, 08:45

Pam wrote:I don't do Twitter. Not sure I would want to get it just for tsn notifications.
"Don't do" as in you're morally opposed to it, like I am with Pinterest?
Or you just don't have a purpose (Because this is one, as well as a status update by @thespotnet when site goes down...not a notification).

At this point, I don't know of many other services I can use to push a notification from a third-party website (mine) to their website with an api, that is also as widely spread as Twitter. Facebook doesn't let me do that, and neither does Google Plus.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 15 Jun 2015, 08:55

What about something like pushbullet? I don't know anything about the programming side of it, but I know it can do notifications for a ton of stuff. Again, Slack could also be used for something like that.
-D$
:ninja:

Neo
The One

by Neo » 15 Jun 2015, 09:34

That is an interesting app...however, it requires people to get another app for all their devices. The same with Slack - it requires everyone (not some) to sign up for another service.

I'd rather use Twitter which has SMS as part of the website profile settings, and brings with it the addition of getting a notification (at the user's discretion) when there is tsn-related alerts (like server issues) when I post them. There's also the possibility of IFTTT.com which would function the same way - though you'll have to create an account on their website to set up your recipe and provide your phone number. I'm not sure if they let just anyone create a IFTTT notification source though.

It's all about the barrier to entry - a lot of people have twitter...and nearly everyone with internet has a facebook account - except I can't use facebook to do what I want as easily as I can with twitter.

There are many other integrations I want to do for things like the Pebble Timeline, and Google Glass. Over time more and more notification services will be available - but Twitter is the easiest low-hanging fruit.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 15 Jun 2015, 13:29

Yeah....pretty much any option I can think of does require another app or login. The best one for now is probably Twitter since MOST people will already have an account, and like you said would be the easiest one to implement.
-D$
:ninja: