Bring back my friends!
If it can't be real, it can be virtual. Pull up a chair, and hang out with everyone at The-Spot.NetCafé. Here you'll find discussions not suitable for other forums and their precious "topics of discussion."

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

Bring back my friends!

by DMoney » 15 Apr 2015, 15:38

What can we do to really get this place going again? So far there have been 4 members posting since the site was re-launched (I know it's only been a day). I have some new friends I'd like to bring here, but without much going on, I'm not sure now's the time. I'd hate to invite someone just to have them get bored quickly and leave before more members start coming back. So....any great ideas? :help:
-D$
:ninja:

Neo
The One

Re: Bring back my friends!

by Neo » 15 Apr 2015, 21:07

I'm open to ideas. I thought an email blast would at least bring back the majority of the core members, but it seems only a handful have returned. I think the email probably failed for most - 170 out of less than 250 made it out...unless the majority of the 170 were the first ones out and that stopped the announcement.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 15 Apr 2015, 23:39

I think the core will mostly be reached through other members who are still in contact.
The deeper darker me ever grows,
Until the light burns it apart,
Leaving behind my scorched and naked heart.

"Those who submit are not always weak" - Hyacinth

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 00:41

Vanyl wrote:I think the core will mostly be reached through other members who are still in contact.
I agree. That's how the whole thing started in the first place. I think there is just some hesitation to have to start fresh. I'll message UPS and see if he can come on during his breaks. He works nights now, but his free time is taken up with Ingress - which is wastefully addicting, imo. :-p And I know Pam has been lurking, but she hasn't posted anything yet.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 16 Apr 2015, 08:14

I think UPS and his family likely have the biggest connections to reaching any interested core members.

DMoney
Level 15 - Forum Raider

by DMoney » 16 Apr 2015, 09:26

Neo wrote:And I know Pam has been lurking...
Have you noticed anyone else lurking around? Anyone that might be interested that we could reach out to?
-D$
:ninja:

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 16 Apr 2015, 10:02

DMoney19 wrote:
Neo wrote:And I know Pam has been lurking...
Have you noticed anyone else lurking around? Anyone that might be interested that we could reach out to?
Every time I'm on it's Neo, Pam, or bots in the box to the side. :(

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 10:36

I messaged UPS last night, and he said he'd mention it to KD and Dexto. I also messaged Frankli earlier today, but he hasn't responded (Away status)
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 16 Apr 2015, 10:58

Ok, FB owns my mind. I just tried to like your comment, Neo...

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 11:13

Vanyl wrote:Ok, FB owns my mind. I just tried to like your comment, Neo...
And that is why I explicitly chose not to have likes, upvotes and +1s, even though phpbb does have "karma" capabilities :D
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Vanyl
The Elusive Beauty

by Vanyl » 16 Apr 2015, 12:49

*likes the above post*

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 14:27

I just send personal messages to a dozen folks on Google+ that probably didn't see the announcement on Facebook. Hopefully they'll stop by. I've been able to only catch a little of what they've been up to since everyone parted, so it'd be nice to catch up fully.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Pam
The Love Goddess

by Pam » 16 Apr 2015, 20:54

Neo wrote:his free time is taken up with Ingress - which is wastefully addicting, imo. :-p And I know Pam has been lurking, but she hasn't posted anything yet.
Pft. I haven't been "lurking" around. GEEZ Neo! I just haven't had a chance to post on here yet. I'm getting there. You make me sound like a creepy stalker!!! And I'm trying to get used to all this again. It's just...so different from what I'm used to now.
Vanyl wrote:Ok, FB owns my mind. I just tried to like your comment, Neo...
This is EXACTLY how I feel! I want to like all the posts!!!
Vanyl wrote:*likes the above post*
Yes, Yes, Yes!! Just like that!!! It just feels right!!! sooooo good....

Oh...right, um. Bringing back friends....Could it also be that we are all adults now, like...FOR REAL Adults (or at least trying to pretend to be), so we just don't have time to sit at a computer and type away? In fact, I was trying to do this from my tablet, and my keyboard kept disappearing and it is really difficult to type a nice post on a phone or tablet. I mean, I do it sometimes on Facebook, but I'd rather not. That's why I came to my computer. And you found me on a day when I actually didn't have any meetings to go to tonight, which is actually a HUGE deal. Sigh. Sometimes, I'd much rather go back to the 2003 me who could stay up all night chatting with y'all. Do you remember that, Neo? Doesn't that seem like a way of life that is just not possible anymore? Or is it just me?

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 21:09

For me, it has been possible for the past several years, but I got into World of Warcraft, and raiding took up all my evenings, and running several guilds, grinding characters...playing age of empires, counter strike, unreal tournament...none of it was productive.

And I had to start brushing up on my web development skills to help supplement my job. It was getting really frustrating being tasked with webpage fixes when I'm a PHP software developer.

The way of life is more challenging at times, but not gone. Now we're more mobile than ever, and you don't have to write a novel - post count isn't a thing to unlock features anymore. Plus, it's a habit I'm intentionally trying to break, with anyone that wants to break it with me.
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]

Neo
The One

by Neo » 16 Apr 2015, 21:29

:doublepost: I just sent a message to Baka Sushi's wife, since he has disappeared from social media, like some others (frostbitemartini for example). I hope it was ominous, yet whimsical enough for her to do it...and I hope that she sees it - it'll probably end up in the "Other Messages" section of the Facebook Inbox. :roll: ridiculous
"Because I choose to."
[[Neo]]